From a retail perspective I "googled" the shopping search engine for driveway sealant products. I got 27 separate products with the following breakdown:
- Asphalt based: 19 products with 11 less than $20 per 5 gallon bucket with a low of $12 and an average of $20. It is important to realize the product variability here as well. Some have 1 year warranties, others have as much as 10 years with a cost range between $12 and $32 per bucket. That shows the difference in price, warranty with the quality of the ingredients.
- Coal tar based: 5 products with a low of $12 and an average of $15 but all the available products are less than $20.
- Gilsonite based (a special fossilized asphalt): 2 products with an average of $46
- Acrylic based: 1 product for $42
- The High Cost of Cheap Coal Tar
- Annual Sealant Price Comparison: Asphalt Drops Twice as Much Vs. Coal Tar, March 2012