Important findings were:
- Runoff from a coal tar sealed surface is about 100 times more potent in PAHs than asphalt based sealant.
- Choosing to ban coal tar sealants may be the most cost-effective way for communities to deal with the pollution impacts of this product.
- Pavement sealants don't always cover as much as the label states; buy a little extra!
- Don't use a toxicity test that is negatively affected by the kind of water used. And if the first one doesn't work, try another one. For example, try the Ames Test.
- Don't do your experiment downwind of what appears to be a crumbling coal tar sealed roof.
- If traffic is the major cause of wear and sealant loss during the sealant's life, recognize the limitations of the research.