javascript:; A Mississippi River's Perspective of Minnesota's Coal Tar Ban | Coal Tar Free America
 

from the Minnesota Master Naturalist

MINNESOTA COAL TAR SEALANT PHASE-OUT LEGISLATION PASSES

In a major victory for water quality and public health, the Minnesota Legislature passed a bill phasing out the use of coal tar sealants in Minnesota. Effective January 1st 2014, the sale and application of coal tar sealants for asphalt-paved surfaces will be unlawful. This is a big win for FMR (Friends of the Mississippi River) and the Mississippi River. This issue was recently highlighted in the State of the River Report, and was one of FMR's priority policy recommendations to the State Legislature in our Mississippi River Policy Guide.

Post a Comment

Anonymous said... June 8, 2013 at 4:24 PM

Yeah Minnesota. I felt a burn on my face and sick to my stomach simply driving thru a coal tar sealed lot today. I did not get out of my car because I chose not to patronize these businesses. It seems as though people will not make the right choice unless it is legislated! I am in Michigan

Anonymous said... June 20, 2013 at 10:20 AM

Hi I'm from the UK and here we have employees in the production of smokeless coal that uses coal tar pitch and are exposed to coke oven emissions that are suffering serious ill health issues. There was a huge group action legal case that was successful to a degree for lung cancers, respiratory disease and certain skin cancer but they were badly let down for many others due to it being poorly presented. Residents who live by these plants are said to be affected too. Is there anyone from this site that I could speak to via email please? This seesm to be such a big issue in the US. I would be grateful to speak further with you. thanks, Kind regards,

Anonymous said... June 20, 2013 at 10:25 AM

Hi is there an email address that I can use to contact the people running this page? the email contact link doesn't seem to work?Here in the UK we have people who have been harmed by working in coking plants making smokeless coal which is made from coal tar pitch and who are exposed to coke oven emissions. Would like to speak someone via email about this if I may? thanks Kind regards

 
Top